Madison police officer charged for intoxicated use of firearm

A local police officer was penalized Thursday for operating a weapon while intoxicated earlier this year, Madison Police Department Lt. Dan Olivas said in a Professional Standard and Internal Affairs Summary.

MPD Officer Cary House was arrested for Intoxicated Use of a Firearm on Jan. 3, 2013 after the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office responded to a resident call that shots had been fired, according to the summary.

In addition to criminally charging House, the department reprimanded him and put him on unpaid suspension for a total of 30 days, Olivas said in the statement.

House fired the weapon into an unpopulated area from the backyard of his rural residence in Columbia County, according to the summary. It is not believed that any residents were in danger.

Officer Emily House was also at the scene, Olivas said in the summary. A subsequent internal investigation suggested that she likely drove while intoxicated over the course of the evening, though the department did not criminally charge her.

Emily House was penalized with nine days total of unpaid suspension for breaching general department conduct and safety policies, according to the summary.

Cary House has worked for the MPD since 2008, receiving four commendations during his time with the department, according to the MPD summary. Emily House has worked for the MPD since 2007, and has received 13 commendations.