Bucky Imposter

Bucky imitator at Capitol protests generates controversy with UW

Not all Buckys are created equal.

A knockoff of the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s licensed Bucky Badger was spotted at the state Capitol building alongside the protesting group, the Solidarity Singers.

UW-Madison issued a press release Thursday warning students to “know your badger.” They cautioned the phony one has puffy features, odd coloring and a sloppy sweater that could disappoint Badger fans.

Cindy Van Matre, the Trademark Licensing Director for the university, said the university has received inquiries from people asking why Bucky Badger is participating at events at the Capitol building.

“It looks like it’s the university that is supporting the cause, and we’re not taking a stance at all,” Van Matre said.

According to the release, Badger costumes like the one turning up at the Capitol have been spotted for sale online.

On Thursday, UW-Madison took action to end sales by the unauthorized seller of the uniforms.

There are approximately seven students who dress up as Bucky for various university and athletic functions, community events, parades, pep rallies and other public and private occasions. Each spring, rounds of tryouts are held for the half dozen people selected to perform at the sporting events and other gatherings, including doing the celebrated pushups for every point scored at football games.

Van Matre said she is unsure if any further action will be taken by the university to find and stop the person in the fake Bucky costume.