Armed robbers target UW students

Police believe an armed robbery on the 1600 block of Adams Street Wednesday morning is the latest in a string of armed robberies surrounding the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus area, according to Madison Police Department South District Capt. Joe Balles.

Balles said he believes the suspects have randomly targeted student housing areas.

The latest robbery occurred Wednesday at approximately 2 a.m. According to the incident report, a female UW-Madison student attempted to shut her front door when she noticed a man on the front porch. The suspect pointed a handgun at her, demanded money and pushed his way into the home. The suspect ultimately fled with a laptop computer, according to the report.

Victims of the first two attacks described similar suspects; two black males in their twenties, approximately 5-foot-11 and wearing dark clothes. The description of the suspected robber in the third attack differs slightly, however, officials believe all three crimes are related, according to police reports.

“We need people to be extra vigilant right now, extra alert,” Balles said.

Balles said a motive for the attacks was likely that college-aged students often own valuable electronic devices.

In response to the incidents, MPD will be increasing patrol in the area, according to Balles. He also said MPD has partnered with UW-Madison Police Department to educate and inform students about the recent crimes and safety tips.

UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott advised students to lock windows and doors at all times, never resist an individual with a weapon and be aware of surroundings at all times.