Chief Noble Wray

Madison Police Chief Noble Wray speaking at a press conference April 30, 2013 on Mifflin Street Block Party policing costs. Wray has served as Chief of Police for nine years. 

Madison Police Chief Noble Wray to retire

Madison Police Chief Noble Wray announced at a press conference Tuesday he will retire by the end of this year following a nine-year tenure as police chief.

Assistant Chief Randy Gaber will serve as acting chief in Wray’s absence.

Wray has been with the Madison Police Department for 28 years and has served as Chief of Police since 2004.

Choking up at moments during the press conference, which was located at the MPD’s training center, Wray expressed gratitude to family members, colleagues and community members who supported him.

“I love this city. I love this department,” Wray said. “I am a lucky man.”

Wray said he is proud of the department’s accomplishments, including the development of a “world-class” training facility and a crime prevention gang unit as well as management of the Mifflin Street Block Party, which had a record low number of arrests in 2013.

Wray said the investigation of MPD Officer Stephen Heimsness, who fatally shot Madison resident Paul Heenan during a suspected burglary in November 2012, delayed his retirement.

But Wray said the investigation is now at a place at which he feels comfortable retiring.

“I think people are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel,” Wray said about the investigation.

Wray said he plans to serve his last days in September and October, and he will do consulting work for the next four to six months as he transitions into retirement.