Rebecca Blank ice cream

Babcock Hall to create new flavor for incoming Chancellor Rebecca Blank

Babcock Hall Dairy store, owned by the University of Wisconsin-Madison since 1951, will honor incoming Chancellor Rebecca Blank by creating an ice cream flavor in her name.

Babcock Hall has named several flavors after notable UW-Madison people in the past, including Barry Alvarez (Berry Alvarez), Bo Ryan (Bo’s Express) and Biddy Martin (Strawbiddy Swirl).

To honor Blank, Inside UW-Madison, the university’s employee newspaper, asked the campus community for input on what the new flavor should be.

UW-Madison Communications Director John Lucas said there has been a surprisingly large number of recommendations, given that campus is typically less busy during the summer months.

“Response has been terrific, obviously people love Babcock ice cream,” Lucas said. “People are also getting excited that Blank is coming.”

According to Lucas, there are now over 100 recommendations, including “Blank Slate,” a plain vanilla flavor, “Teach Me How to Becky,” a chocolate ice cream with bright-red pieces and chocolate swirls and “Fill in the Blank,” which would feature banana chunks, M&Ms, marshmallow, chocolate, fudge, caramel swirls and walnuts.

The university is narrowing down the choices to approximately a dozen names and consulting with Babcock Hall to see which flavors are technically feasible to create, according to Lucas. He also said the person whose flavor is chosen will receive a chance to meet the chancellor or be recognized by the university.

Those interested can visit Inside UW’s website to make a suggestion.

The date when the ice cream will be released has not yet been determined, according to Vice Chancellor for University Relations Vince Sweeney.