UW-Madison's Top 10

Go out on the lake (both during summer and winter)

Lake Mendota is one of Madison’s most beautiful sights. What’s even better is that you can go out onto Lake Mendota all year round. When it’s warmer outside, rent a boat with your friends and have lunch out on the lake. For even more time in the water, try joining Hoofers Sailing Club. The lake is just as beautiful in the winter. When it is frozen over, join in with students and walk on the lake for an exhilarating experience—be sure that it’s safe before you go out on the lake in winter.

—Elana Charles

Go to the farmers’ market

Force yourself to wake up early one Saturday morning in order to go to the Dane County Farmers’ Market. Right on Capitol Square, the view itself is an experience. Take in the number of vendors that surround the entire Capitol, the street musicians, the crowd, food carts and of course, the Capitol. Make a stop at the Stella’s Bakery stand to buy a loaf of their famous spicy cheese bread, or have your pick of fresh produce for a healthier treat. There is much more to offer, with stands dedicated solely to fresh-cut flowers, honey, cheese, and much more—there truly is something for everyone.

—Katy Hertel

Eat cheese curds

Cheese curds are said to be the accidental discovery of University of Wisconsin-Madison cheese scientists trying to create a pure cholesterol product. Their failed attempt became our godsend. The cheese curd “squeak” is the noise fresh curds make when they meet with your mouth. The telltale sound of freshness, similar to the sound of rubbing balloons, is lost 12 hours after production. The finest fried cheese curds have a weeping creamy curd center covered by light breading. These nuggets of goodness can be found all over Madison, by the pound in Dane County Farmers’ Market or in poutine at A.J. Bombers.

—Nia Sathiamoorthi

Go for a run on the Lake Mendota shoreline

Lakeshore Path is located along the Lake Mendota shoreline and is a great way to take a break from an urban campus with a burst of nature. If you can’t run all the way out to Picnic Point on your first go, it serves as a milestone to strive toward throughout the year. Don’t brave the path by yourself at night, as lighting is minimal. However, if you can gather a group to get out to Picnic Point on a clear night, the view of the Madison skyline with the Capitol all lit up is breathtaking.

—Rachel Wanat

Sit on the terrace

It is practically a necessity for students to enjoy at least one sunny afternoon on Memorial Union’s terrace. Bring your visiting friends and family to take in the lake view while grabbing a few drinks or a meal. Grab a table with friends on summer nights to catch Terrace After Dark, which offers live music and movies. Whether you need to find a place to hang out for the day or you need a study break, the Memorial Union terrace is a classic tradition every student should experience.

—Katy Hertel

Attend a football game

Standing in a sea of red as you cheer on the Badgers is a feeling that can never be forgotten. Even if the results of a game don’t go our way, it’s the rowdy crowd and massive Badger support that makes it impossible not to come back again and again. Between the famous bratwursts, beer and cheese, everyone is beyond ecstatic before the game has even started. Throughout the game, fans go wild for touchdowns and Bucky’s pushups, but the craziest part comes as the loudspeakers blast House of Pain’s “Jump Around.” To say the least, at the end of a game day you will be exhausted, but it’s a memory that will last forever.

—Jordyn Silverstein

Go to the Nitty Gritty

In Madison, there’s no short supply of burger joints, and Nitty Gritty, located a convenient 10ish steps from Witte Hall, makes the list of go-to places because of its birthday special. Come to the Nitty with some friends on your birthday and show a photo ID to get free drinks all night. Overall, the Nitty makes pretty tasty burgers, chicken fingers and cheese curds, and is generally on point with the delicious fried menu items.

The restaurant’s signature Gritty Sauce, which tastes like a mixture of ketchup and mayo, adds to a solid burger, which you can wash down with fries, chips, coleslaw or veggies.

—Rachel Schulze

Take part in the snowball fight on Bascom Hill

One tradition every Badger should partake in at UW-Madison is the annual snowball fight on Bascom Hill, which often takes place after the first snowfall of the season. This is a battle of epic proportions, so come prepared. Whether you’re a freshman or fifth-year senior, know which side you stand on—Lakeshore or Southeast. Bring lunch trays as shields and practice your snowball aim beforehand. Also, don’t be surprised if your best friends suddenly become your mortal enemies. Don’t let this snowball of an opportunity fly by!

—Mara Jezior

Eat Mac ’n’ Cheese from Ian's Pizza

Ian’s Pizza is a local pizza restaurant in Madison that is known for its many different pizzas. Every time you walk in, there is a new adventurous flavor to try. One pizza that always remains on the menu is their well-known Mac ’n’ Cheese pizza. What makes this pizza a must-try? It is made with Ian’s homemade ranch dressing. Plus it has mac ’n’ cheese on it—who doesn’t love that! This pizza has a unique flavor that is hard to forget. There are multiple Ian’s Pizzas in Madison, so grab your friends and grab a slice. Enjoy!

—Elana Charles

Sit on Abe Lincoln’s lap at the top of Bascom Hill

Badger grads line up on graduation day to get a photo sitting on Abe Lincoln’s lap. Once perched on Abe’s lap, with family members excitedly clicking pictures, it is tradition to whisper one’s hopes and dreams into Abe’s ear. Although it’s unlikely one will hear a response from Honest Abe, it’s customary to end the interaction with a peck on his cheek before heading off into the world. It is said with the knowledge students gain throughout their time at UW-Madison and a little bit of help from Abe, they will make their dreams realities.

—Sarah Olson