Mayor Paul Soglin (copy) (copy)

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin

Common Council approves Catholic faith-based housing

An historic Catholic school will reopen as faith-based housing for University of Wisconsin-Madison students August 15 following a slim vote of approval by the city Council Tuesday, despite ongoing concerns about the future tax exemptions for the building owners.

The Holy Redeemer Catholic school building, located at 120 W. Johnson St., will be transformed over the summer into the Lumin House, a 60-person-capacity residence, which will be exempt from property taxes due to its state classification as a religious building.

Mayor Paul Soglin called this measure in the legislature “atrocious.”

“If I was the owner of a piece of property that was eligible to construct student housing and get this tax exemption, I would be ashamed to come in and utilize that opportunity,” Soglin said. “It is not fair to other students, it is not fair to other renters and it is not fair to anyone who in some way is contributing to the services the city provides.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he has “mixed emotions” about the outcome. Verveer said he is excited the proposal meets a demand from St. Paul’s student members for Catholic housing while preserving the building’s historic exterior. However, he said his enthusiasm is “tempered” by the exclusionary and non-communicative approach Holy Redeemer leaders took with their parishioners throughout the process.

“I’ve participated in many neighborhood meetings over the years and this is certainly one of the most painful that I’ve participated in,” Verveer said.

According to Verveer, although the Lumin House is a designated faith-based living community, state non-discriminatory laws will prohibit Holy Redeemer from turning away tenants who do not practice Catholicism.

Madison transit could see make-over

Madison’s Transportation and Planning Board’s preliminary study into the city’s potential for supporting a Bus Rapid Transit system discovered a network of corridors in the city where implementation would be feasible.

BRT is a high-capacity, limited stop urban transportation system. Board staff will have to analyze BRT’s traffic impacts and benefits before moving forward with the project.

The report shows BRT, which would incur $9.8 million annually in operational costs, would reduce public transit traveling time up to 30 percent and stimulate the local economy by connecting the metropolitan residents to the downtown area.