Softball: Badgers looking to continue hot start to season

The Wisconsin softball team (5-1 Big Ten, 27-4 overall) finally earned a spot in the top 25 rankings of various polls this week, following road trips to Illinois and Iowa. The Badgers will look to continue their good start to conference play this weekend at Minnesota (4-2, 21-12).

Despite being ranked for the first time since 2002, the team has a humble mindset heading into the Twin Cities. “I think whether we are ranked or not, we are still playing the same game,” junior outfielder Mary Massei said. “We’ve been practicing every day with the intent to win and keep up how we have been doing       in conference.”

Head coach Yvette Healy sees the ranking not as an achievement, but as motivation. “It shows us that we have more work to do. I think everybody is really hungry to keep on getting better, so it’s additional motivation,” Healy said The Badgers. will need this hungry mindset if they hope to beat a talented Gopher team this weekend. Minnesota is lead by stellar junior pitcher Sara Moulton who currently holds an 18-8 record with a 1.59 ERA.

As for UW’s pitchers, they hope to continue the trend they have started this season. “I think we just carry over what we did last weekend, throwing strikes, getting ahead in the count, and really just executing our pitches,” said senior pitcher Meghan McIntosh. The average ERA for Wisconsin pitchers thus far this season is only 1.37.

UW has only given up five runs through its first two conference series.

Last year Wisconsin swept Minnesota in three games at Goodman Diamond, including the biggest comeback in school history in the last game. After trailing by eight runs, the Badgers came back and posted an 11-10 victory. The Gophers will undoubtedly be looking to get back at UW at their home field.

“It’s going to be tough. To play on the road against those types of teams is always a challenge and I think we just have to be able to battle adversity when we see it,” commented Healy. As for the key to success she said. “We’re going to have to hold their big hitters down and find a way to put hits together on one of the best pitchers we will face.”

“We just have to have a positive mindset and most importantly have fun,” said Massei.

The first game of the three game series will take place Friday at 6 p.m., followed by 2 p.m Saturday and 1 p.m Sunday.