Unemployment rate graph

Reports show state faces poor job growth, employment

Two reports released Thursday show the state is suffering from economic problems, specifically negative private sector job growth and a rising unemployment rate.

One report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, which used data from between September 2011 and September 2012, found Wisconsin ranks 44 out of the 50 states in private sector job creation. The ranking is significantly lower than the state’s previous ranking at 37 between March 2011 and 2012.

The BLS report is considered very accurate because it uses economic census data from 96 percent of Wisconsin employers, according to a Wisconsin Department Workforce Development report.

A separate DWD report showed the state unemployment rate rose to 7.2 percent this February, a slight increase from 7 percent in January. The unemployment rate has increased by half a percentage point in the first two months of the New Year.

The low job creation ranking and rising unemployment rate are particularly relevant because Gov. Scott Walker started his term with a promise to create 250,000 private sector jobs over four years. The promise has repeatedly fueled Democratic criticisms of the state’s economy, but state Republicans remain optimistic about Walker’s job creation goal.

State Democrats, including state Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, released statements Thursday saying Walker needs to better address Wisconsin’s economic situation through job training and other initiatives.

However, Walker has distanced himself from the criticism, saying the poor economic climate is caused by an aging workforce and a political climate filled with protests and recalls.