City officials plan to discuss Library Mall redesign with community stakeholders

Members of the State Street Design Oversight Committee met Thursday to plan meetings with potential stakeholders to seek their input on the Library Mall redesign.

The city plans to update the 700 and 800 blocks of State Street, which includes the Library Mall area, with additional lighting and improved passageways for pedestrian and bike traffic.

The committee held a public information meeting April 23, where members of the community shared their thoughts on the functionality of Library Mall and what could be improved.

City Project Engineer Jason DiPiazza said he wants to hold meetings with area businesses, including the University Bookstore, Memorial Library and Subway, in the next two to three weeks to stay on schedule with the planned start of construction, which is set for the beginning of 2014.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he anticipates issues will arise after talking to stakeholders, noting potential topics for discussion include the Library Mall fountain, clock tower and bike traffic.

Bike traffic is currently prohibited on Library Mall, and Resnick said community members on both sides of the issue have “heated opinions” on whether or not bike traffic should be allowed on the mall.

According to DiPiazza, the city will place cameras in the Library Mall area next week to gauge the volume of bike traffic, which they will consider in the decision-making process.

DiPiazza said he was surprised by certain concerns community members brought up at the April 23 meeting, including the transition between the mall and Bascom Hill, as well as the lack of grass in the area. He said the city will consider the community’s input as plans move forward.