04302013pocan

The Daily Cardinal

ASM leaders ask U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan about bipartisanship, student issues

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., likes to use his favorite poll to illustrate the need for bipartisanship.

“They said, ‘What do you like better, cockroaches or Congress?’” Pocan, a University of Wisconsin-Madison alumnus, said to students in the Associated Students of Madison Monday.

According to Pocan, the survey showed cockroaches had a higher approval rating, as did traffic jams and head lice.

Pocan stressed the need for cooperation across party lines, among other topics, when fielding questions from ASM representatives. He added some of the distrust for Congress was caused by failures to work together to pass legislation.

In the discussion, ASM representatives asked Pocan questions about concerns including filibusters, health care changes and the proposed Keystone Pipeline.

Pocan, who is a member of the House Budget Committee, also mentioned the effect of the budget sequester on the university. He said although Pell Grants were not affected, the university suffered a $35 million loss that included substantial cuts to research grants and financial aid.

“That’s been on a lot of our minds,” Pocan said.

Students also asked about recent legislation that would affect student loans, which Pocan said he had not yet made any decisions about.

Overall, Pocan said it was helpful to hear from students and he appreciates his ongoing relationship with ASM.

“Having that kind of constant contact as well as hearing about other issues that are important to students is… valuable to me and my job,” Pocan said.