An extremely sincere thank you to UW's underappreciated

As a college student, I often get asked which class or which professor I enjoy most. While I’ve definitely had a number of great people influence my education and my world view, I’ve always held a special appreciation for a different group of individuals and this piece is dedicated to them. I extend my gratitude and appreciation to the janitorial, custodial and general maintenance staff that work in the student dormitories and campus buildings. You guys have always shown the most consistent kindness whenever I have interacted with you. Your responsiveness has been uncanny whenever I send in general maintenance requests. Your politeness has been thoroughly refreshing through numerous experiences I’ve had with you on campus.

Having lived in the dorms for two academic years, there were a number of maintenance issues with which I required assistance. The heating system in my room consistently knocked through all hours of the night when I first moved in, making sleeping impossible. When I sent in a maintenance request, I expected I would have to wait a few weeks before the problem was resolved. To my surprise, I received an email about 15 minutes after the request was sent in. The maintenance staff stopped by within a few hours and fixed the problem immediately. The two members that stopped by were cordial and polite, and we enjoyed a nice conversation. The second time I requested their assistance for a fan installation, the response was identical. The staff responded quickly, and the people were some of the nicest I’ve ever interacted with on campus.

Every two weeks one of my student organizations hosts a late night general assembly in the chemistry department, and every time we always interrupt one particular janitorial staff member who is, without fail, vacuuming the room. I always enter sheepishly and explain that our organization has the room reserved, and I apologize for interrupting her work. Instead of becoming frustrated, this staff member always responds with a friendly smile and tells me not to worry. This has happened throughout the semester, every single time. I’ve come to look forward to it, because that simple smile is refreshing.

Finally, I want to recount one last incident. Last week a water pipe exploded in the basement of my dorm at approximately 2:30 a.m. The emergency alarm system went off, and the entire building was evacuated. Normally a middle-of-the-night interruption is painful on its own, but in this instance it was pouring rain outside and the temperature was bitter cold. Five of us were huddling together outside of the dorm building on the side of Bascom Hill, when we noticed three of the janitorial staff in the Law Building beckoning us inside. They had just finished sweeping and mopping the floor, and I’m sure our group left a dripping mess for these individuals. But rather than complain, these staff members poked fun at our plight, laughing about how the situation was unlucky. Thankfully we didn’t have to wait outside during the ordeal; we weren’t allowed back in the dorm for an hour and a half.

I would just like to finish by letting these staff members know how grateful I have been for their work over the last few years. There is something special about the consistent kindness that you have displayed toward me, and this consistency is uncommon among other people. I hope this article finds you, because while you may not hear it very much, I am grateful that you guys are around.

Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.