Transit plan aims to reduce crowds on Metro buses

The Madison Transit and Parking Commission recommended the city approve Metro Transit’s five-year plan at a meeting Wednesday that would consolidate bus stops and combat overcrowdedness.

After an analysis of the bus system revealed problems due to increased ridership over the last few years, Madison Area Transportation Planning Board staff members proposed increasing busses on certain routes and introducing higher-capacity busses to accommodate large numbers of passengers.

Madison Transportation Planner Mike Cechvala identified Johnson and Gorham as streets that would benefit from a reduced number of bus stops, which would reduce travel time, increase reliability and cut down on fuel emissions.

According to Cechvala, the area currently has approximately eight to 10 bus stops per mile, but the plan would consolidate the number to between four and six.

TPC member Amanda White said the proposed number of bus stops being eliminated is too drastic.

“Reducing it to a potential quarter mile and going from 12 stops to six stops seems like it may be excessive considering that these are some of our most highly used corridors,” White said.

Cechvala said the proposal includes increasing the frequency of certain bus routes, including downtown routes 2, 4 and 5.

Metro Transit General Manager and TPC representative Chuck Kamp said Metro Transit wants to meet the increase in demand for spots on busses.

“For most students, it’s less than half the time they get a seat,” Kamp said. “Most of the time they’re standing, and we would like to change that because there’s only so much you can do standing before we start losing prospective riders.”

MATPB and the city Council will have to approve the plan before it can be implemented.