Students, state legislators work on adjustments to Responsible Action legislation

At an Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs meeting Monday, student leaders highlighted the potential penalties UW System students could face when reporting violent crimes or emergency situations while intoxicated if the Responsible Action bill is passed by the state legislature.

Although the bill aims to protect underage citizens across Wisconsin from receiving drinking citations when calling the police, it will also specifically address underage drinking penalties for students on UW System campuses.

According to Legislative Affairs member Morgan Rae, the bill will include a clause to protect students who report emergencies from being written up for drinking by university housing, as well as protections from suspension or expulsion.

Rae said the bill will be sent back to drafting later this week after state legislators expressed concern about the clause, requesting clarification between university and housing penalties.

“We’re fine with having students discuss the situation with the dean of students, we just don’t want there to be criminal or monetary punishments,” Rae said. “We also don’t want students to be able to be kicked out of housing, expelled or suspended.”

Instead, Rae said the bill would call for lesser punishments for the people who need assistance in emergency situations, and even fewer punishments for those who report dangerous situations to police.

“[Legislators] are going through the list of punishments for students and they’re going to cross off the strict ones,” Rae added.

Rae said they are considering community service hours or an alcohol responsibility class as alternatives.

She predicts the bill will be re-circulated for co-sponsorship within the legislature by April.