State Republicans divided on Walker voucher expansion

Multiple state Senate Republicans have recently said they disagree with Gov. Scott Walker over how to expand private-school vouchers statewide, but would be willing to work with the governor to compromise over an expansion plan.

The plan in question, which is in Walker’s biennial budget proposal and has already drawn criticism from state Democrats and education organizations, would allow children currently enrolled in underperforming public schools to take voucher money and attend higher-performing private schools.

Despite general disagreement over the specifics of Walker’s plan, Republican senators still support an expansion plan in some form, according to Tom Evenson, the communications director for state Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau. Evenson said Senate Republicans would likely take time to work with Walker.

“At this early stage, there is no doubt we can find common ground on school choice expansion as we move through the budget process,” Evenson said in an email. “There is widespread support for an expansion of school choice in the Senate, but the form it takes needs to be worked out.”

Walker has said his voucher plan is based on the idea of getting children the best education they can access. Democrats oppose the proposal because they say it would hurt the education sector by taking taxpayer money away from already struggling public schools and giving it to private schools.

Republicans currently have an 18-15 majority in the state Senate, which means approval for a proposal will likely require Republican agreement.