Professor Profile: Richard Davidson, expert in meditation

While people have been meditating for centuries, one University of Wisconsin-Madison professor is working to scientifically prove meditation makes people happier.

Richard Davidson, a psychology professor at UW-Madison since 1984, also runs the university’s Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience, which includes his research to incorporate the Dalai Lama’s theories on the healing powers of meditation into scientific research.

Davidson said he has been interested in this topic for many years, although he was initially hesitant to publicly express his interest, since many people did not feel it was “scientific research.” But, after meeting the Dalai Lama in 1992, Davidson said he was convinced meditation and emotion regulation were important research areas to pursue.

“Meeting the Dalai Lama was a pivotal meeting that changed the course of my life and my research,” Davidson said.

Davidson said his research has shown him that happiness is not cultivated by external factors such as money or material possessions, but through mindfulness and meditation. He said this is often shown in lottery winners, who have an initial spike in happiness, but soon after return to previous, or in some cases lower levels of happiness.

“A wealth of evidence has shown that external factors are not highly correlated with [happiness] at all,” Davidson said.

Davidson is currently working with school districts to study the effects of his research, as well as conducting research on veterans to reduce effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Throughout the course of his research, Davidson has continued to consult with the Dalai Lama. He said the Dalai Lama’s advice has greatly influenced his research and has added necessary insight into the effects of meditation.

“I’ve never had a conversation [with the Dalai Lama] ever, where I haven’t learned something important as a result of that conversation,” Davidson said.

Davidson will welcome the Dalai Lama to campus May 15. There will be a lecture open to the public at the Overture Center with students tickets costing $10, according to Davidson.