Owner of Capital Fitness plans new gym facility, apartment complex for downtown

A local fitness center owner and an architect presented initial plans at a Bassett Neighborhood meeting Monday for a structure that would bring apartment units as well as a fitness center to West Washington Avenue.

Erik Minton, owner and operator of Capital Fitness, and John Sutton from Sutton Architecture proposed a five-story residential and service use building which would be located at 425 W. Washington Ave., the current site of a parking lot and one-story commercial building.

The building would include 50 one or two bedroom residential units. Commercial spaces in the structure would provide working space for optometrist John Bonsett-Veal, whose office is currently on the lot, and a new Capital Fitness center.

“This is a building that’s going to add to the neighborhood in some fashion,” Minton said.

Under the current proposal, the building would include 64 parking spaces as well as moped and bike parking, though none of the parking would be intended for the fitness center, which would not have a pool or offer group fitness classes.

Minton said he hopes people would walk or bike to get to the gym, and if patrons wanted to use full facilities, including classes, they would go to Capital Fitness’ main location at 15 N. Butler St.

“To put the convenience stuff right in the neighborhood is our goal,” Minton said.

Construction could begin in fall 2013 if the proposal receives city approval. Minton has previously received approval from the city for a project on the same lot but did not begin construction.