New bill: bars can sue patrons under age of 21

State Republicans introduced a bill Thursday that would allow bars and other alcohol retailers to take underage patrons to court if the individuals try to illegally obtain alcohol from the retail location.

Current state law states underage people who intentionally defraud an alcohol retailer, with a fake ID or otherwise, face a potential fine between $250 and $1000, according to an analysis by the Legislative Fiscal Bureau.

The new bill would change the law and allow a retailer to bring a civil suit against the underage person. If the person were found guilty in court, he or she would face a fine of at least $1000 plus any legal fees accumulated during the court process. Additionally, if the individual is not yet 18 years old, the bar could bring the lawsuit against the person’s parents or legal guardians.

Mark Woulf, Madison’s food and alcohol policy coordinator, said while the new bill would give alcohol retailers an extra deterrence measure for underage drinking in a state with a “deep and embedded drinking culture,” it would not have any real impact on underage people trying to buy alcohol in Madison.

“If you are underage and going into a bar, you already know that there is some risk of getting a ticket,” Woulf said. “I think that is deterrent enough and if that doesn’t deter you, then you are probably going to try it anyway.”

Andrew Bulovsky, chair of the Associated Students of Madison, also said he thought the new law would increase penalties without deterring underage students from trying to get into bars.

“I see no reason to make [the law] even more punitive than it is,” Bulovksy said. “[ASM] will … inform the state legislature that students are not happy.”

The bill is still in its early stages and must pass state legislative committees and both houses of the legislature before having a chance of being signed into law.