Madison property owner offers Occupy members land to camp on

A Madison landowner is allowing Occupy Madison members to stay on his property until public county campgrounds open next month, despite the possibility of a fine from the city for violating the land ordinance.

Sun Prairie resident Koua Vang said he was inspired to offer Occupy members his vacant land on the 3600 block of Portage Road after visiting the Token Creek encampment, where Occupy campers stayed until their extended camping permit expired March 17.

“Everyone seems to abandon them, nobody wants them to be around, our government does not want them to be around so they had no place to go,” Vang said. “I wanted to help these people.”

According to Ald. Joe Clausius, District 17, city officials warned Vang before the county evacuated Occupy members from the Token Creek campsite that permitting camping on his land violates the city’s zoning codes and would put Vang at risk of being cited for propagating illegal activity.

Vang said he has not received a citation as of Monday, after campers moved in over the weekend, and he will continue to provide Occupy members with land for camping whether or not the city pursues legal action.

“Money is just money,” he said. “These people are suffering.”

Clausius said he wants the city to find a permanent solution to homelessness, but he does not support Vang’s approach toward helping the Occupy community.

“I am very sympathetic to the plight of the homeless, but we need to find a permanent site year round for them to be at,” Clausius said. “A residential neighborhood like this is not the place for it.”