Madison Opera begins construction on new opera center

The Madison Opera announced construction of its new facility Wednesday, which will allow all of the company’s administrative offices as well as rehearsal spaces, to be in the same building for the first time.

The company, which began in 1961, is a non-profit professional opera company and resident organization of the Overture Center of the Arts. The new facility is expected to cost approximately $1.875 million, according to a statement released by the company.

The Madison Opera’s new facility will be located on the bottom floor of the Metropolitan Place II condominiums at 335 W. Mifflin St. The facility will include space for a costume shop, music library, rehearsal space and administrative offices.

“The Opera Center will help us meet and expand our vision and programs,” General Director Kathryn Smith said in the statement. “With all of our efforts in one place, we can focus on the core of our mission: great opera performances and engaging educational programs that serve Dane County residents of all ages.”

Additionally, the new facility will feature an extra 2,000 square foot space on the bottom floor that will be rented out to another business and 88 covered parking spots, which will be used to generate extra revenue for the opera.

The building is expected to open in summer 2013 for the 2013-’14 opera performance season.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the new opera center will “enliven” the space, which has been vacant for some time.

“For the first time, the Madison Opera will have a real home outside of the performance venue at Overture Center,” Verveer said. “It’s been a long time coming, and after many years of inadequate office space and insufficient rehearsal space, everything will be under one roof.”