Hansen drops out of District 8 alder race, Resnick now unopposed

Campus-area alderperson candidate Christian Hansen confirmed Monday he plans to drop out of the race for Common Council’s District 8 seat due to events related to personal finances.

Hansen, a University of Wisconsin-La Crosse graduate, ran approximately a three month campaign against incumbent Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, to represent the district which encompasses most of campus, including university residence halls and off-campus housing.

In an interview with The Daily Cardinal, Hansen said he is unable to campaign any longer due to obligations he must fulfill to the Madison Community Cooperative as its board member representative, as well as to ensure he is able to pay his rent.

“I cannot sacrifice members of my co-op and the work we do for each other,” Hansen said. “There are responsibilities I need to meet.”

Resnick said he wishes Hansen the best of luck in the future and he hopes Hansen will consider serving on one of Madison’s many city committees.

“I will continue my campaign and talk to students about improving campus and downtown life,” Resnick said.

Although Hansen said it is “too early to tell” if he will run for city government in the future, for now he plans to continue to support his co-op in ways that are more community-oriented as well as work with other co-ops to give back to the community in general.

Additionally, Hansen said he will continue to focus on the same issues he did during his campaign, such as affordable housing for students and the city’s homeless, by working with local nonprofits with shared goals.

“After occupy and Walkerville, it becomes who you are,” Hansen said. “I am going to keep being who I am.”