03132013frequency

The Daily Cardinal

Committee to address hip-hop in Madison

The Madison Arts Commission established a subcommittee to preserve the local hip-hop community at its meeting Tuesday following backlash about local venue owners restricting the types of shows they are willing to host.

The subcommittee, to be chaired by MAC member Anthony Brown II, is to be in place for one year and will “[present] hip-hop music in the community that shows not all hip-hop music is negative, aggressive or hard edged as it has been characterized by mass media,” according to Brown.

He proposed the subcommittee to assist local artists in transforming negative attitudes toward the genre after several instances of violence at local shows.

Most recently, The Frequency announced it would no longer host hip-hop artists after a fight that began in the venue escalated into shots fired outside, although no one was injured.

Madison has a contentious history with hip-hop. In 2009, the Brink Lounge discontinued hip-hop shows after a fight broke out, and two violent events at The Majestic Theatre and High Noon Saloon in recent years caused tension in the music community, although neither venue officially banned hip-hop acts from performing.

Brown requested the subcommittee include arts commission members, Madison Police Department personnel and local artists, highlighting the importance of collaboration between these different entities.

Brown, who is an R&B artist and performs under the stage name, “Anthony Lamarr,” said he advocates for hip-hop artists who have limited performing space in Madison.

“It’s frustrating to local hip-hop artists … It’s frustrating when you don’t feel welcome in Madison,” he said.

The next step is to “figure out ways for hip-hop music to exist and keep events safe for individuals,” according to Brown, who said venue owners, artists and media need to work together to figure out why the public has a negative opinion of hip-hop.

“My goal is to shed positive light on hip-hop,” he said.

Brown also hopes to involve University of Wisconsin-Madison students in the subcommittee’s discussions.

“I think it would be great to have undergraduates who are involved in the hip-hop community and who love to listen to hip-hop music to become consultants,” he said.