Rex Sheild

Column: Wisconsin hockey returns to classic venue at Coliseum

While Wisconsin hockey fans have grown accustomed to the comfortable seating and the rowdy Crease Creatures at the Kohl Center since its existence in late 90s, the program started the makings of their dynasty elsewhere in Madison—Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The current Wisconsin hockey team will relive the Wisconsin glory days at the building former head coach Bob Johnson built this weekend, where they will look to add another WCHA championship banner against St. Cloud State. With the Badgers closing their season at the Coliseum this weekend, it is only appropriate to revisit the once-great spectrum in college hockey.

The history extends back to heart of Wisconsin hockey success, dating back to the inaugural season in 1967-’68. With the late Bob Johnson at the helm, the Badgers rose to national prominence quickly, as they won three national titles (1973, 1977, 1981), went to seven Frozen Fours (1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1982), made seven NCAA Tournament appearances, won six WCHA Tournament Championships (1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982) and was crowned WCHA regular season champions once in 1977.

Jeff Sauer maintained the tradition Johnson set in place at the Coliseum, as the program won two more national titles (1983, 1990), made three appearances in the Frozen Four (1983, 1990, 1992) and 10 appearances in the NCAA Tournament and won five WCHA Tournament crowns (1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998).

When you dissect how great the program was during their time at the Coliseum, it’s hard not to imagine the type of atmosphere that was on display each and every series. Students and general fans alike would have an upfront and close look at the elite skill of players like All-Americans and future Olympians Mark Johnson, Mike Eaves, Craig Norwich, Julian Baretta and Chris Chelios to name a few that would ultimately lay the foundation for what fans know the program as today.

While the great players who filtered through the program provided the spectacle of highlight-reel goals and championship-type seasons, it was the raucous atmosphere of 8,462 animated fans—both intoxicated and sober—as a whole that made the Coliseum the place to be for Wisconsin hockey fans.

However, before you salivate over the excitement, it is important to keep in context the era of Wisconsin athletics. Compared to their recent success, both the football and basketball programs were in the basement of the Big Ten and mediocre at best during the hockey days of the Coliseum. Thus, their lack of success transformed the hockey program into an ultra-elite status around campus, and justifiably so.

Back to the the task at hand. The infamous “sieve” chant the Crease Creatures bark at opposing goaltenders at the Kohl Center had its origin at the Coliseum. While I cannot partake in the intake of alcoholic beverages due to my underage status (insert your jokes here), beer was served aplenty—because of its off-campus location—making the student section one of the best in the nation. Sports Illustrated tabbed it as the “Montreal Forum of college hockey,” which was the former home of the Montreal Canadiens. While I could go on and on about the Coliseum’s notoriety, I felt it would be interesting to get an in-depth fan’s perspective about the chills the atmosphere provided.

My dad, a student at Wisconsin from 1977-’81 and an avid Coliseum attendee, described to me in great detail the special memories he experienced. First and foremost, he explained to me the night started out in fashion with PA announcer Phil Mendel always saying “Good evening hockey fans,” sending a wave of adrenaline rush through the arena.

Moreover, “it was an intimate venue where the fans were right on top of the action,” he said. “Martha Johnson (Badger Bob’s wife) clanged her cowbell, rubber chickens were dangled from hockey sticks, beer flowed at the beer gardens. There was an energy that permeated the building from the opening face-off to the final horn sounded.”

This weekend’s series will serve as a golden opportunity for the players, coaches, fans and students to soak in and revisit the great Wisconsin hockey memories. Who knows, there’s a possibility they will create new ones.