City passes Dayton Square development amidst debate

Discussion surrounding the proposed demolition of three residential buildings on campus, for which the Common Council gave final approval Tuesday, incited an impromptu affordable-housing debate at the meeting.

Madison’s Common Council approved the plan to demolish the three Dayton Square buildings, located at 415 W. Johnson St., 226 N. Broom St. and 424 W. Dayton St., to make way for a 12-story, 317-unit high rise.

While the Council approved the plan, it did so amidst controversy at the meeting.

Ald. Brian Solomon, District 10, was one of two Council members who voted against the proposal because he said replacing the affordable Dayton Square apartments with more expensive units would set a negative precedent for future proposals.

“I’m not going to support this tonight,” Solomon said. “In the end, we’re not looking at the bigger picture and we’re not addressing what we need to address as a body.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, who voted in support of the plan, said maintaining affordable housing should be a priority for the city, but still said the proposed apartment complex should replace the outdated Dayton Square apartments. He added the city’s downtown plan specifies redeveloping the lot.

“I think it is absolutely inappropriate, some of the suggestions that we reject this application because of the loss of affordable units,” Verveer said. He added the city needs to address the “tremendous issue” of affordable housing, but said using the Dayton Square demolition proposal is the wrong approach.

“We need to do everything we can beyond this application to address that need and that concern,” he said.

Some people see “zero lot line” homes, such as the Dayton Square apartments, as the best affordable housing option in Madison. According to Verveer, the zero lot line architectural-technique consists of constructing cramped, affordable residences on property lines to make room for surface parking spaces and bigger yards on the lot.

Verveer said due to the fact that they are outdated and unattractive, there is a high demand to replace them with often times more expensive housing. Still, he said preserving them does not solve Madison’s affordable housing needs.

Mayor Paul Soglin said John Urich, the city planner who pioneered the zero lot line residential building technique, helped create some of the most notable structures in Madison. Still, Soglin said Urich was mistaken in believing zero lot line homes were the future of the city.

“I think that if John were alive today, he would ask that this one mistake of his career be removed,” Soglin said.

Despite the majority of respondent’s criticisms, resident Rosemary Lee said she supports the project because the development will attract residents who contribute to the local economy.

“I’m really enthused about this development,” she said. “The target tenants are young professionals and working people downtown and we need these people so they can support all State Street businesses.”

The Urban Design Commission will vote on building materials for the new development Wednesday.