Stuart Levitan

The Landmarks Commission, including Chair Stuart Levitan, approved redevelopment designs for the former Holy Redeemer school, saying they fit with the neighborhood’s historic building standards.

City committee approves catholic school exterior redevelopment design

The Landmarks Commission approved designs for a downtown redevelopment at a meeting Monday.

The commission awarded an exterior certificate of appropriateness, which means proposed exterior alterations meet the committee’s standards of compatibility with the neighborhood’s historic character, to designs for the proposed former Holy Redeemer Catholic School redevelopment into apartments.

Holy Redeemer pastor James Holmes closed the building, located at 142 W. Johnson St., which the church used for social and parish events, in December because the structure was deteriorating.

He applied for city permission to divide the West Johnson Street lot, which also houses the church, in order to sell the previous school building to investors while maintaining ownership of the functioning church.

Landmarks Commission chairperson Stuart Levitan said the commission does not have jurisdiction to stop Holmes from selling the building, despite emotional pleas from parishioners.

“It breaks my heart… to see what it is doing to this parish, and I wish the church were acting more like a church and less like a developer,” Levitan said.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, investors could use federal and state Historic Preservation Tax Credits, which allow businesses that owe taxes to invest in historic landmarks, to redevelop the property and said he supports the designs.

“This, frankly, long neglected, beautiful historic landmark will receive desperately needed tender love and care,” Verveer said.

The Plan Commission will review the application at its April 22 meeting before it goes to the City Council for final approval.