Best beer bars in Madison, pt. 1

I have been waiting, “researching” and reflecting about this column for a long time: a carefully crafted, undeniably subjective and inevitably controversial list of the best beer bars in Madison. Before I even get started, I want to warn you this is really just one beer geek’s opinion and  that every single bar on this list is a must-try for any admirers of the almighty ale.

This list is also not just about the beer; it’s about the ambience, crowd and that inexplicably general “How-much-do-I-like-this-bar-and-why” factor. And yes, I am mostly mentioning this so that I have the freedom to craft this list as I see fit without 15 people emailing me about how many more taps bar x has over bar y, so deal with it. 

Having said that, I’ll start with the No. 10 best craft beer bar in Madison. And depending on how long I ramble about each spot, stay tuned for the next couple/few/handful/baker’s dozen of weeks to find out who’s number one. 

10. The Malt House

Located way out on East Washington Avenue, across the road from a giant deserted field, the Malt House is a dive bar. Looking at its decor, I’m pretty sure the adult-video store next door has a nicer interior design. It’s dark, damp, dingy and often desolate. The staff was rude the last time when I ventured out to the spot, and if I was new to craft beer I would have felt very out of place and intimidated

Personally, I would recommend ditching the off-putting aroma and vibe that clutters the claustrophobic air inside this 16th-century dungeon of a bar and make your way to the patio… at least here you have a big empty field to look at. 

At this point you may be asking, “If you dislike this place so much, why is it on your list?” The answer is simple: The beer selection is really, really good. In fact, if this bar even cared the smallest bit about its atmosphere it would easily take No. 1 on this list. 

There are around 20 taps, many of which were rare and unheard of to me when I first went. One example: the Belgian Chocolate Cherry Stout.

The bottle collection is a little redundant compared to the standard beer-store variety, but it does feature some harder to find brews, like Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon (even if only the classic geuze).

9. Cooper’s Tavern

Starkly contrasting No. 10 is Cooper’s Tavern, a beautiful, modern, warm and inviting Irish-style pub on the Capitol Square. You may notice while walking past that this place is always completely packed. I’m not sure if its ridiculous popularity is real or more of an illusion created by the tiny interior, but either way, the result is a fun and lively atmosphere.  

Much like the Malt House, Cooper’s Tavern also features 20-plus taps, but a careful inspection of the list reveals a milder menu of more commonly found beers. Don’t get me wrong; it’s still an impressive selection, but there is little here that can’t be found down the street at Riley’s or one of the other craft-beer bars on the square. 

Still, when you’re surrounded by a comforting corner-bar environment, good food and great service, it kind of makes you think: Even if I can find this beer somewhere else, why would I want to? 

Now if Cooper’s Tavern could just please, please, please get some bigger high-definition screens, I could enjoy my Sunday morning Premier League soccer with a nice crisp Saison, great brunch and a gigantic smile on my face.

Niko will continue his series about Madison bars throughout the semester. His beer column runs every other Thursday. Send comments to ivanovic@wisc.edu.