02052013legaffairs

The Daily Cardinal

Students adjust proposed state alcohol citation policy

The Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee discussed Monday a new provision to its Responsible Action Bill that would prevent students from using the policy as a means of avoiding a drinking ticket.

Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Dan Statter said although the committee does not foresee students abusing the bill to avoid drinking tickets, it is a “responsible addition” to the legislation.

The Responsible Action Bill is designed to protect students from receiving citations for underage drinking when calling police to report a violent crime or calling for help in certain emergency situations.

Members of the Legislative Affairs Committee met with the staffs of state Sens. Terry Moulton, R-Chippewa Falls, Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, and Luther Olsen, R-Ripon, all of whom seemed supportive of the bill, according to committee members.

Also in the meeting, Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, spoke about the city council’s response to safety concerns after the May 19 shooting on the 500 block of University Avenue.

Madison Common Council took the shooting incident seriously by allotting $50,000 in additional police funding, sending officers to approach gang members directly and working with community organizations to redirect young people standing outside bars, according to Resnick.

“It changed my entire perspective on campus safety,” Resnick said about the shooting.

Resnick also addressed the high cost of housing in Madison, noting Madison’s low vacancy rate has led to a lack of competition between the landlords.

“We’re seeing something on campus where landlords can basically not invest a single dime into their property and they will still find some student who is willing to live there.” he said.

Resnick said he hopes new housing projects, such as the Xo1 apartments on the corner of University Avenue and Brooks Street, will spark more turnover and more selection in the housing market.

Statter said Resnick has been “accessible” and “competent” in his work with the Legislative Affairs Committee.

“While there can always be more to do, I think the city council has gone above and beyond what is called of them,” Statter said.