Student government leaders continue push for Responsible Action, 18+ campaigns

University of Wisconsin-Madison Chancellor David Ward and Dean of Students Lori Berquam expressed their support for a statewide alcohol policy initiative proposed by the Associated Students of Madison, ASM Legislative Affairs Chair Dan Statter said at a meeting Monday.

Statter said ASM Chair Andrew Bulovsky and Vice Chair Maria Giannopoulos met Monday with the two university leaders who spoke about their support for ASM’s Responsible Action campaign.

If passed, the Responsible Action Bill would protect underage drinkers from receiving alcohol citations when reporting violent crimes or emergency situations to police.

Student government leaders hope to produce a document signed by the chancellor in support of the bill to gain more support from state legislators, Statter added.

Also at the meeting, Vice Chair of Legislative Affairs Rachel Lepak outlined plans to refocus the committee’s 18+ initiative, which seeks to provide more events around Madison aimed at 18- to 20-year-olds. Lepak’s new plan lobbies to allow all 18- to 20-year-olds into 21+ establishments, as long as they are not served alcohol.

“Alcohol in Madison always has its drawbacks and its positives between the students,” Lepak said. “But I think the city is more than willing to work with students on this issue and more than willing to come up with solutions.”

Members of the committee also discussed lobbying strategies for the governor’s upcoming biennial budget and the Student Regent Campaign, which aims to provide student governments in the UW System a voice in deciding future Board of Regents student representatives.