Ellie

SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker reccomends a study to determine what resources are needed to rebuild the Natatorium and renovate the Southeast Recreational Facility.

SSFC approves 2013-'14 RecSports budget

The Student Services Finance Committee approved the 2013-’14 budget for the Division of Recreational Sports Monday, which includes new funding for an evaluation of the condition of current campus athletic facilities.

The committee approved $2,767,100 in funding, which will support maintenance and upkeep of the current facilities, in addition to small increases in staffing and programming.

The budget also includes a new $100,000 increase for a “feasibility study” to be completed over the coming year.

SSFC recommended the study to determine what resources are needed to rebuild the Natatorium and renovate the Southeast Recreational Facility and outdoor field areas, according to SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker.

Once the study is complete, Bruecker said she would support a referendum for RecSports next spring to ask the student body if it is interested in updating athletic facilities. The referendum would require a petition from 10,000 students or a vote from ASM Student Council to be put on the spring election ballot.

SSFC Rep. Devon Maier said he felt the budget was fiscally responsible, though he voiced some concerns on the state of campus facilities.

“It looks like over the next five or 10 years we’re spending maybe $10 million dollars keeping things where they’re at and students see no tangible benefits,” Maier said. “There’s no improvements, we’re keeping our poor facilities at their current poor level. “

However, Maier said he felt confident the additional funding for the study and possibility of a referendum would give students “an opportunity to make an important decision to improve our university.”

The additional funding will increase student segregated fee contributions to RecSports from the current $6 to $7.33 per student next year.

SSFC will hear the budget for the Wisconsin Union at its next meeting Thursday.