Expenditures

Expenditures for the 2013-'15 state budget

Proposed 2013-'15 state budget

UW System and Higher Education

Gov. Scott Walker proposed a $181.35 million increase in General Purpose Revenue to the University of Wisconsin System over the next biennium.

While the proposal does not bring system funding back to 2009 budget levels, it is an increase from the $250 million in budget cuts from the 2011-13 budget.

Walker proposed to spend $89.4 million to “preserve and expand access and quality in the UW System” through the use of “block grants,” which are grants given to institutions that have limited restrictions on their use, according to a UW System statement.

The budget proposal also included $2 million in startup funding to launch the UW Flexible Option degree program, which allows students to customize their learning to earn a degree, including lecture classes, online classes and other sources.

“While the university will have to confront many challenges, that task becomes much more manageable when we are not heading into the future with a ready-made deficit,” UW-Madison Interim Chancellor David Ward said in a statement. “I applaud the governor for recognizing the need to re-establish the state’s partnership in funding quality higher education in Wisconsin.”

“We give more resources to the University of Wisconsin and we give them the flexibility to use those resources wisely,” Walker said.

Workforce Development

Gov. Scott Walker’s budget proposal included major allocations to reinvigorate and expand Wisconsin’s workforce, with $100 million allocated toward programs to provide workers with the skills needed to find jobs.

The programs include the development of a labor market information system, which would connect workers with potential jobs and colleges with prospective students. Higher investments in job development programs and support for the Medical College of Wisconsin's Community Medical Education Program, would also be made priorities.

The budget also included provisions to increase the number of job searches before workers are eligible for unemployment benefits.

Additionally, over the next two years, Walker proposed to increase the number of physician and dentist graduates and create opportunities for those graduates to train in rural areas in Wisconsin.

“Job creation and workforce development are top priorities for everyone, including the UW System. We look forward to working with all Legislators from both parties to advance this budget,” said UW System President Kevin P. Reilly in a statement.

“Overall, our budget improves the prosperity of our citizens by helping employers create jobs, developing our workforce and investing in our infrastructure,” Walker said.

K-12 Education

Walker announced his plans to reform public K-12 education by tying funding to school performance and expanding the state’s private voucher system in his budget address Wednesday.

The governor’s focus on performance-based grants means higher performing state schools stand to receive the most funding from the budget.

Walker also proposed expanding the state voucher system, which would allow children currently attending underperforming schools to use voucher money to enroll in higher performing private schools.

Walker said the reforms aim to help ensure every child gets a strong education, but Democratic opponents say the proposals will take funding from already cash-strapped schools.

“Our top priority should be returning funding to our schools to make up for the largest cut to funding in state history that we saw last session,” state Sen. Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, said.

“In the end, our goal is simple: ensure every child—regardless of where they are from or what their family income is—has access to a great education,” Walker said.

Healthcare

Gov. Scott Walker officially announced his plan to decline federal health-care funding and transform Wisconsin’s Medicaid system in his Wednesday budget address.

The new healthcare plan would remove about 87,000 citizens with incomes above the federal poverty level from Medicaid and require them to purchase health-care through federally run exchanges.

Additionally, he would provide Medicaid coverage to about 82,000 citizens currently making less than the poverty level, some of whom currently do not have coverage.

Additionally, Walker plans to vastly expand mental health services within the state. He said the focus on mental health is necessary because only half of state adults suffering serious psychological distress are currently treated.

“Healthcare is going to become a lot more expensive and it may become unattainable,” state Rep. Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, said.

“This investment in community-based services will increase the independence of people living with mental health needs and maximize their ability to be contributing members of our state,” Walker said.

Income Tax Cuts

The governor proposed to significantly cut income taxes in an attempt to grow the economy, totaling $343 million over the 2013-15 biennium, which he said is the largest income tax cut since the 1999-2001 biennium.

Over the next decade, this cut should lower income taxes by $1.7 billion, Walker said.

The budget also provides an additional $75 million in economic development tax credits, as well as $25 million to help start-up businesses take off by creating a capital investment program.

“One of the best ways to grow our economy is to put more money back into the hands of the people and small businesses of the state,” Walker said.

“We cannot accept a tax cut that will be benefiting those making $200,000 or more as getting the biggest at a time when the middle class continues to suffer,” State Senate Minority Leader Chris Larson, D-Milwaukee, said.

Law Enforcement

Walker allotted a portion of his budget to improve law enforcement through increasing the number of DNA samples the state can obtain to solve and prevent crime.

Additionally, Walker’s budget aims to improve GPS monitoring for victims of domestic violence who have restraining orders against their perpetrators.

In his speech, Walker thanked the parents of Brittany Zimmerman, a 20-year-old University of Wisconsin-Madison student murdered in her Doty Street apartment in April 2008, for attending the speech and for keeping up their fight to find her killer as well as to increase the use of DNA samples.

“Their hard work will not only help families like theirs, but will ultimately help prevent other families from having to go through what they went trough,” Walker said.