Officer involved in November shooting death being investigated for three previous incidents

The Madison Police Department launched three additional internal investigations into officer Stephen Heimsness’ conduct after recently concluding he acted reasonably in the shooting death of Paul Heenan, Chief of Police Noble Wray said Friday.

The incidents MPD is investigating all occurred before the Nov. 9 shooting, according to Wray.

“Although these investigations are not complete, I find the preliminary information to be troubling,” Wray said at a press conference.

Declining to give specific details about the allegations, Wray said he received different types of complaints and at this time none involve the excessive use of force.

Although Heimsness was working in a training center throughout the Heenan investigation due to Wray’s concerns for Heimsness’ safety if he were on patrol, Wray said at the press conference he has now placed Heimsness on administrative leave.

He said the most recent allegations against Heimsness were serious enough to warrant that action. Wray acknowledged this situation is difficult for the community and the Heenan family, but said he is confident the police department will do its job.

“I want to emphasize that I have full confidence in the men and women of this department, and in their professionalism and ability to serve our community,” Wray said. “The public should share this confidence.”

In accordance with Wray, Madison Mayor Paul Soglin released a statement Friday in which he said, “I have complete faith in the Madison Police Department to investigate the Madison police officers.”

The Dane County District Attorney’s Office conducted an additional investigation into the Heenan case and found Heimsness not criminally liable, according to Wray.

In response to letters from the community, the United States Department of Justice has launched its own investigation into Heimsness’ actions in the Heenan shooting.

“I welcome this additional review and have already sent the entire original file to the U.S. Department of Justice,” Wray said.