Occupy Madison campers and homeless at Token Creek allowed to stay through winter

Occupy Madison members will be allowed to stay at Token Creek until March 17 after 13 campers accepted a permit deadline extension deal from the county Friday.

Dane County officials granted the extension under the stipulation the county will not consider any extended camping privilege requests for winter 2013.

Campers accepted the offer in a written response, but also indicated a list of concerns and requests they had about the compromise in the letter.

“We don’t consider this much of a choice, since there is no legal place to go,” the group said in the letter.

Occupy’s concerns included the estimated 157 men who will remain on the streets on and after March 10 until county campgrounds open April 16, because they spent their allotted 60 stays per year at Porchlight shelters.

Campers also expressed apprehension in their response about the possibility people in the future will not receive a permit to stay on county owned campgrounds next winter.

“Hopefully, none of the current people at Token Creek will need to stay there next year,” campers said in the response. “But others may, and it is unfair to commit, in their absence and on their behalf, that they cannot ask for a permit next winter.”

Occupy members requested the county supply transportation of materials from the camp back to the city on March 17, and to understand if extreme weather just before or on the move-out inhibits a timely evacuation.

They also asked for permission to return to Token Creek at a later date to retrieve materials that may freeze to the ground without being punished for leaving the camp in a disorderly manner.

Since moving to Token Creek in May 2012, more than 100 people have camped with Occupy Madison, according to the response.

The Dane County Board will review a resolution Monday submitted by Sup. David Wiganowsky, District 21, to extend the permit deadline to May 1 to give members a place to stay through the winter, into Spring.

Ten of the 36 other supervisors have signed the proposal already, which, if approved, will go through four other committees.