Porchlight Inc

Homeless shelters, such as Porchlight Inc., 306 N. Brooks St., limit the number of days people are allowed to stay over night.

New survey shows homeless rates up from summer 2012

The number of homeless citizens in Dane County increased nearly 14 percent over the last six months, with 718 people living in shelters and 99 people sleeping outside, according to a Jan 30 survey.

Social workers from the Community Development Block Grant conduct the survey twice a year––in January and July––at the request of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Design, according Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

These survey results are a leap from the July 2012 numbers of 554 people in shelters and 162 sleeping outside, according to the Isthmus newspaper.

According to Verveer, the increasing problem of homelessness is not due solely to budgetary constraints, but to things like “running out of days” at homeless shelters.

People can “run out of days” if they reach their limited allotment of stays per year. Arriving at a shelter after the doors close and not being allowed in due to behavioral issues also contribute to the problem, Verveer said.

He also said funds for initiatives would cause budget cuts, but more shelters wouldn’t be enough to stop the rising problem.

“[The solution is] not just providing additional beds at a homeless shelter.” Verveer said. “It’s providing employment and treatment and permanent, affordable housing.”

Verveer acknowledged the statistical increase, but noted a small silver lining to the survey.

“On the positive side there are some steps that have been taken, incrementally, to provide more housing for those in need of shelter,” Verveer said. “But that doesn’t diminish the main outcome.”

“The results were sobering, but sadly, I think, not a surprise to anybody,” he added.