Multipurpose community center, grocery store coming to East Side

An empty lot on the 800 block of East Washington Avenue will be the site of a new building constructed within the next few years to provide housing, commercial properties and a grocery store to nearby residents, according to a city release.

C.D. Smith Construction, T. Walls Enterprises and Gebhardt Development, working with Metcalfe’s market, submitted three separate potential designs in response to the city’s public request for proposals.

The designs will now undergo reviews and participate in a selection process in which the city will select a developer based on multiple criteria including aesthetic appeal, economic impact, environmental friendliness and its ability to catalyze future developments in the area, according to the request.

The proposal from C.D. Smith states it would build “neighborhood hub” to reinforce the community with 200 housing units, multiple restaurants and businesses and a new Madison Fresh Market to the Capital East District.

T. Wall Enterprise’s proposal states it wants to improve the area, which it defines as a “first impression corridor” to visitors of Madison, by adding apartments, a community garden spot, a rooftop garden and a Madison Fresh Market to the area.

Metcalfe’s Market, with Gebhardt Development, proposed constructing a 24-hour multipurpose complex with recycled building materials featuring housing units, a green roof and a Metcalfe’s Market.

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, and Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, who represent the area, said in a joint statement Friday they are impressed with the proposals and excited about the future of the project.

All three plans include a public promenade area unique to their respective designs and designated parking spaces.