MPD opens three new cases following Heenan shooting

The Madison Police Department launched three additional investigations into officer Stephen Heimsness’ conduct after recently determining he acted reasonably in the fatal shooting of Paul Heenan, Police Chief Noble Wray announced at a press conference Friday.

Heimsness shot the 26-year-old Madison resident Nov. 9 while responding to a possible burglary on Madison’s east side after an intoxicated Heenan accidentally entered his neighbor’s house.

Wray declined to give specific details about the new investigations, but said he received complaints about Heimsness regarding incidents that occurred before the shooting.

Wray said none of the previous incidents involve excessive use of force at this point in the investigation.

“Although these investigations are not complete, I find the preliminary information to be troubling,” Wray said.

Wray said the most recent allegations are serious enough that he has placed Heimsness on administrative leave.

Wray acknowledged the situation is difficult for the community and the Heenan family, but said he is confident the police department will do its job.

“I want to emphasize that I have full confidence in the men and women of this department, and in their professionalism and ability to serve our community,” Wray said. “The public should share this confidence.”

The Dane County District Attorney’s Office also conducted an investigation into the Heenan case and found Heimsness not criminally liable, according to Wray.

Since the Heenan shooting, friends, family and concerned citizens have protested the way the MPD handled the situation.

A Change.org petition started by several of Heenan’s friends to permanently remove Officer Heimsness from patrol duty in Madison has received more than 80,000 signatures as of Sunday.

If the petition receives its 150,000 signature goal, the authors will deliver it to Mayor Paul Soglin, Wray and the Madison Police and Fire Commission, according to the website.

At the press conference, Wray said he does not “envision” Heimsness’ removal from patrol duty.

In response to the community’s reaction, the United States Department of Justice has launched its own investigation into Heimsness’ actions in the Heenan shooting.

“I welcome this additional review and have already sent the entire original file to the U.S. Department of Justice,” Wray said.