Men's basketball: Wisconsin hosts Huskers in Big Ten matchup

Nebraska (4-10 Big Ten, 13-14 overall) has been more competitive this season than its four conference wins would suggest. While the Cornhuskers have yet to come away with a win against the Big Ten’s upper echelon, they have certainly made things interesting in a handful of such games.

Back in the early stages of conference play, Nebraska was within one possession of Wisconsin (10-4, 19-8) in the final minute of the game before the Badgers pulled away with a 47-41 victory.

Since then, the Huskers have been competitive in the second half of games with Michigan, Michigan State (twice) and Ohio State.

Both teams will likely be comfortable with the pace of play when the Cornhuskers visit Madison Tuesday—they average an identical 63.7 possessions per game. It will be key for Wisconsin to contain Nebraska’s top three scorers, each of whom averages in double figures.

It isn’t the Cornhuskers’ number of double-digit scorers that makes them a heavy focal point however, as more than half of the teams in the Big Ten have at least three guys averaging at least 10 points per game. What makes Nebraska’s top three a point of emphasis is that senior guard Dylan Talley (14 points per game), junior guard Ray Gallegos (12.5) and senior forward Brandon Ubel (11.4) have combined for 65 percent of Nebraska’s scoring this season.

Although the Cornhuskers’ statistics would not lend many to believe they could knock off UW Tuesday—they rank either at or near the bottom of most notable statistical categories in the Big Ten—Nebraska comes into town having won two of its last four games, including its biggest win of the season, a 64-60 win over Iowa Saturday.

Wisconsin’s coaches and players have said, dating back to Big Ten media day back in October, that any team in the conference could beat another. While it is not uncommon to hear coaches and players tout the toughness or parity of their conference, that kind of talk is perhaps no more appropriate than this year in the Big Ten.

Head coach Bo Ryan said at his Monday press conference that, while this season hasn’t exactly been “unpredictable,” it certainly has to have been entertaining for the fans.

“Results are unpredictable,” Ryan said. “So to me, it would seem like it would be something that fans would relish.”