Diversity committee shares student roundtable findings

The Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee released four common themes that stemmed from student input at a recent roundtable event which focused on the future of the ethnic studies class requirement at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The Ethnic Studies Roundtable, held Feb. 18, facilitated discussion and debate on the university’s ethnic studies class requirement, which currently requires students to take one three-credit class from a list of approved ethnic studies classes.

ASM Diversity Committee Chair Mia Akers said the committee will present its findings to other committees working on the campus diversity plan to show students’ perspectives.

“I’m just really excited that we got great feedback and we came away with tangible things that students want,” Akers said. “Hopefully the university will listen to us and really take our considerations to thought.”

According to Diversity Committee Vice Chair Hannah Kinsella, one of the most common themes involved raising the requirement to six credits instead of three, and requiring students to take two classes about different areas of diversity, such as gender and women’s studies.

Another common theme participants requested was requiring students to take one of two required classes in their first two years on campus and the other in their next two years.

Students also showed interest in creating smaller discussion sections for ethnic studies classes, which Akers said could facilitate better discussion on sensitive topics.

The fourth common theme students at the roundtable supported was incorporating a service learning requirement for students enrolled in ethnic studies classes, which would require students to participate in campus and community events and volunteer opportunities involving diversity.