UW professor Lorrie Moore to leave for Vanderbilt University

Renowned fiction writer and sought-after creative writing instructor Lorrie Moore will leave the University of Wisconsin-Madison and accept an endowed chair at Vanderbilt University beginning fall 2013.

Moore, an English professor at UW-Madison, is the author of three novels and four short-story collections, and she received an O. Henry Award, an award given to the 20 best short stories of the year, for her piece, “People Like That Are The Only People Here.”

Moore will be the Gertrude Conaway Vanderbilt Professor of English, pending approval by the Vanderbilt Board of Trust, according to a Vanderbilt press release.

“Lorrie is the essence of original expression and commentary. Her unique voice illuminates her poignant and brilliant writing, and she represents a terrific addition to our world-class English faculty,” said Vanderbilt Chancellor Nicholas S. Zeppos in the statement.

The New York Times praised her latest novel, “A Gate at the Stairs”, and it has received several honors including the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction finalist, Midwest Booksellers Choice Award for Fiction and Orange Prize’s Shortlist award.