01302013mifflin

The Daily Cardinal

Student leaders continue planning for year-end party

A student-led group will soon officially propose a university-sponsored end-of-the year event on May 4, the same day as the 2013 Mifflin Street Block Party.

The event, which has been in its beginning stages since late November, would be a music and arts festival held near Randall Avenue in the Union South area, according to Associated Students of Madison Vice Chair Maria Giannopoulos.

While all plans are tentative, Giannopoulos said there could be local entertainment from students, such as a cappella and dance groups, in addition to a headlining artist, which is still unknown.

The cost of the event is “up in the air” and depends on how much support the group receives from donors and how many people attend the event, according to Giannopoulos.

Unlike the Mifflin Street Block Party, this university-sponsored event could have a designated party area for which students could have to pay to enter.

Giannopolous said alcohol could be served at this event to students 21-years-old and over, similar to how alcohol is served at Badger Bash.

While the event would occur on the same day as Mifflin, Wisconsin Union Directorate President Sarah Mathews said the more structured end-of-the-year celebration was not planned as a block-party alternative.

“We’re not trying to eradicate Mifflin by any means,” Mathews said. “I think it’s part of the UW-Madison culture to want to celebrate the weekend before finals.”

Mathews said the event aims to embody the “badger work-hard play-hard ethic” by giving students an opportunity to “celebrate before finals.”

City officials support the additional May 4 event, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, and met with Mayor Paul Soglin and university officials Jan. 23 to discuss the event.

While student leaders hope to create a buzz around a new event, Verveer said he believes people will still gather on Mifflin Street, which will be regulated similarly to the 2012 event with increased police presence and no open intoxicants on city streets.

More concrete details about the proposed event will be released by Feb. 15, according to Mathews.