SSFC hears ASM Student Judiciary, WSUM budget proposals

The Student Services Finance Committee held budget hearings for the Associated Students of Madison Student Judiciary and WSUM, UW-Madison's student run radio station, Thursday.

The ASM SJ proposed a budget of $41,850 for fiscal year 2013-’14.

ASM SJ Chief Justice Nick Checker said there were significant cuts to the budget, citing a 22 percent decrease from last year’s budget.

According to SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker, there were small reductions to multiple categories including salaries, office supplies and advertising.

“It’s great that they’re doing their best to reduce their costs,” Bruecker said. “I think it’s very responsible.”

WSUM proposed a budget of $332,490, an increase of approximately three percent from last year.

WSUM’s General Manager Dave Black said responsible spending is one of the station’s priorities.

“We are determined and committed to not give you any huge increases,” Black said. “We’re committed to keeping it to under three percent.”

A group of WSUM staff members emphasized the importance of the new spending for required equipment upgrades to maintain the services they provide to students and the campus community.

Bruecker said both groups “demonstrated responsibility” in their budget proposals. SSFC will vote on ASM SJ and WSUM’s budgets at its next meeting Monday.