Police identify fourth suspect in Montee Ball assault

Madison police identified Karlis Griffin as the fourth and final suspect Wednesday in the Aug. 1 attack on Badgers running back Montee Ball.

Police are still looking for the 27-year-old Griffin who, unlike the other three suspects, is not a University of Wisconsin-Madison student, according to Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

DeSpain said police used a surveillance tape to identify Griffin. The tape shows four men assaulting Ball on University Avenue as he was walking home from State Street Brats around 2 a.m. Aug. 1, he said.

Police originally suspected 5 men were responsible for the attack but narrowed it to 4 using video surveillance, according to DeSpain.

Ball suffered a concussion as a result of the attack and missed the first week of 2012-13 preseason football practice.

Robert Wilks, 22-years-old, and Wendell Venerable, 21-years-old, both pleaded guilty in December to substantial battery and intended bodily harm for the attack, according to Wisconsin Circuit Court records.

Deonte Wilson, 21-years-old, is scheduled for a plea hearing Jan. 18 regarding charges of substantial battery and intended bodily harm in connection to the Ball case, according to Wisconsin Circuit Court records.

DeSpain said identifying Griffin was the last part of the investigation and the police are in the process of locating and arresting him. Madison police are asking anyone with information on Griffin or his location to contact their department.