The Frequency

Downtown bar and live music venue The Frequency announced it will no longer allow hip-hop artists to perform following a shooting outside the building in which no one was hurt.

Frequency bar discontinues hip-hop shows

Popular downtown bar and concert venue The Frequency announced on its Facebook page Tuesday it will not be hosting hip-hop events in the future due to a shooting that took place outside the building early Monday.

According to a police report, a shot was fired during a brawl outside The Frequency, located at 121 W. Main St., between two men who began fighting inside the bar.

Darwin Sampson, the owner of The Frequency, said in the Facebook post that although nobody was injured during the struggle, he is taking a necessary precaution by discontinuing hip-hop shows.

“I will not take another chance and put my employees and patrons in danger,” Sampson said in the post. “It is truly unfortunate that I cannot host an entire genre of music and artists because of the idiocy of a couple people and the ineptitude of the security company that evening.”

The Frequency does not have a history of violence, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, but he said he does not “begrudge” Lichte’s decision to enforce the provision.

“What happened Sunday night is an isolated incident and I think it is unfortunate that hip-hop artists and its fans will have to suffer the consequences for the actions of a few,” Verveer said. “But it is sheer luck that nobody was injured or even killed.”

Verveer said there has been a provision in The Frequency’s lease since the venue opened in 2008 banning hip-hop acts due to instances of violence during the previous owner’s tenancy but the landlord, Larry Lichte, has not enforced it until now.

Verveer said he believes Sampson has managed the establishment well and built it into a valuable place to see live music in Madison.

“I especially appreciate the fact that all their shows are 18+ shows that allow University of Wisconsin students and those who are under 21 to legally view shows there,” Verveer said.

The city did not request the bar stop hosting hip-hop shows and the decision was made entirely by Sampson and Lichte over concerns about the liability issues that could result from ignoring the lease provision, according to Verveer.