State Street redevelopment to be completed in 2014

Construction on the renovation of the 100 block of State Street began Thursday and is expected to be completed in the the spring of 2014, according to the Block 100 Foundation.

After a three month gap, the city approved developers W. Jerome Frautschi and Pleasant Rowland’s $11 million plan to redevelop six properties on State and West Mifflin Streets in July.

The city did not support the Frautschis’ original plan, which included a proposal to demolish the Schubert Building, 120 W. Mifflin St., and the Stark Building, 122 W. Mifflin St. The Block 100 Foundation compromised with the city by removing plans for an outdoor plaza area at the corner of Mifflin Street to avoid demolishing the two buildings.

“The Block 100 Foundation loved the original design that was proposed, but we found common ground to pursue an excellent project,” Project Manager George Austin said.

Austin said internal renovation work, such as removing asbestos and lead-based paint in the Schubert and Stark Buildings, is the first step of the development project.

Demolition of the Haswell Building, 117 State St., the Buell Building, 121 State St., and the Vallender Building, 128 State St., will begin in January to minimize interference with the holiday shopping season and outdoor dining on State Street, according to Austin.

“We’re timing [the demolition] to be a good neighbor,” Austin said.

Renovation of the Castle & Doyle Building, 125 State St., will begin after the other three buildings are demolished, according to Austin.

“We are excited it’s moving forward,” Austin said. “It’s going to be a great project.”