SSFC 11022012

Student Services Finance Committee representatives discuss funding for two student organizations Thursday.

SSFC approves 2013-’14 budgets for F.H. King, Sex Out Loud Thursday

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee approved budgets for Sex Out Loud and F.H. King Thursday, after making minor adjustments to the food expenditures in both budgets.

The committee reduced $200 in daily food costs for a national conference from Sex Out Loud’s original funding request.

SSFC representatives said they found the group’s initial request to be unnecessarily large, citing the fact that several meals are included in the conference fees.

With this small adjustment, Sex Out Loud’s final budget for fiscal year 2013-’14 of $100,996.67 was passed on a 11-0 vote.

After removing $100 from F.H. King’s budget for food for the intern program, SSFC approved $74,256.68 in funding for the group, almost exactly what was originally requested.

SSFC also discussed cutting the position of an urban agriculture assistant from the budget proposal. However, a majority of the committee was confident in allocating additional money to the group based on their past fiscal responsibility.

The budget was passed on a 12-0 vote.

SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker said the committee found both budgets to be “responsible,” and possessing “clear justification for any increases they were looking for.”

Also in the meeting, SSFC discussed its plans to tour University Health Services, the Memorial Union, and Rec Sports facilities to evaluate what facility features student segregated fees will be contributed to, before hearing budgets for the three groups later this year.

SSFC will hear budget proposals from student organizations, WISPIRG and Atheists, Humanists, and Agnostics at its next meeting Nov. 5.