11012012 Food Carts

Food carts are drawing concern from restaurant owners who worry they are stealing business while operating at night.

Local restaurants concerned about food cart presence

Local restaurant owners worried about the effect of late night food vendors on traditional businesses expressed their concerns to city officials at a meeting Wednesday.

The number of carts selling food late at night has increased suddenly this year, according to Warren Hansen, a member of the Vending Oversight Committee. In one area, several food carts are stationed on a small block that has at least three existing restaurants.

Rich Scheflow, owner of Silvermine Subs, said food carts are a nuisance and cause public safety issues when people out late at night have to walk in the streets to avoid the lines that form around the vendors.

“Current late-night vending is out of control,” Scheflow said.

Pita Pit owner Courtney Pawn said vendors, such as those that set up shop near her storefront, are “setting existing stores up for failure.”

“I just want to have a balance so that all businesses can thrive and co-exist,” Pawn said. “We love the Madison community and we don’t want this to force us to move elsewhere.”

Pawn said another issue results from food cart customers who take their food into established restaurants and try to use tables or restrooms, causing arguments between them and store owners.

“We become the bad guys,” Pawn said.

According to Steve Lawrence, owner of the Fried and Fabulous food cart, city regulations restrict vendors from operating without limitations.

Lawrence said food carts must still find areas close to potential customers in which to vend. Locations with adequate foot traffic and nearby bars are ideal.

He added food carts, which should be regarded as an independent business when deciding where to sell, are a growing trend both in Madison and in the nation.

“I started my business from the ground up to be a late-night business,” Lawrence said. “[What I sell] is unlike anything else anyone around me is selling.”

The committee postponed voting on potential solutions that would allow both parties to maintain their businesses until its next meeting.