Food carts

Alex Miller, UW-Madison student and Banzo enthusiast, is fighting for food cart peace. Since tensions arose, his daily diet has been greatly restricted. He envisions a world in which he can eat falafel and shawarma together. 

FAKE NEWS FRIDAY: Shawarma food cart seeks two-cart solution

Get Fatah on Shawarma, a food cart vying for space in Library Mall in front of the University Book Store, will make a unilateral bid for cart-hood to the Associated Students of Madison this month.

Banzo, a popular falafel cart, took control of Library Mall more than a year ago, and in light of the cart’s success GFS has propelled a campaign to establish itself as another Middle Eastern option near the University Bookstore. 

Although there is little available space in the Mall, many foodies are spearheading the movement for a “two-cart solution.” But GFS will take its bid for cart-hood unilaterally to ASM without bilateral negotiations with Banzo as stipulated by University of Wisconsin law.

One GFS proprieter, who chose to remain unnamed because of the conflict, said the residents of Madison need schwarma in Library Mall, but Banzo does not provide schwarma and refuses to place it on the menu. 

“While we recognize Banzo’s legitimacy as a falafel cart and right to hold space in the Mall, we cannot go on without a schwarma vendor in the region,” he said. “Talks have long been at a standstill with Banzo, so we have no choice but to take our case to ASM.”

Currently GFS holds “stand status” in the Food Cart Association of Madison but is determined to upgrade to “cart status.” A third Middle-Eastern cart, Kebabistan, a militant cart located on Gilman St., hinders the peace process by not recognizing Banzo’s legitimacy.

Kebabistan calls for the destruction of the falafel cart and the liberation of Banzo’s territory from what it refers to as an “illegal occupation.” Kebabistan, which is backed by the University of Minnesota, has been known to frequently shoot pieces of grilled chicken at the falafel hub and has upgraded its military arsenal in order to launch a barrage of fried chicken schnitzel attacks at Banzo, making its patrons unnecessarily hungry. 

It remains to be seen whether GFS will receive an upgrade in status at its upcoming ASM hearing. However, the publicity it has received over the last few weeks has swayed many surrounding carts to back its cause.