Daily Cardinal Editoral Board Endorsements

Obama deserves another four years in office:

Four years ago, this board endorsed Barack Obama for president. Today, we endorse his reelection.

Throughout his first term, President Obama has fought for issues important to our generation, and we expect he will continue to do so in a second term.

However, we do not do this without reservation. Four years ago, Obama used his impressive oratory skills to inspire our generation, leaving us with idealistic hopes that he could change politics in a transformative way. Unfortunately, our hopes in that regard were not met.

Additionally, his administration has not been as transparent as we would like, nor has he taken a realistic approach to deficit reduction, still a major problem.

But his opponent, former Gov. Mitt Romney, does not seem likely to improve on any of those issues, and this board considers him worse when it comes to deficit and budgetary concerns. He has pledged to lower taxes and committed to an additional $2 trillion dollars of funding for the Defense Department. What will he then cut to balance the budget? He refuses to provide specifics, other than reforming tax code to eliminate loopholes and deductions.

We also doubt Romney’s willingness to reach across the aisle. If he governed like he did while serving as governor of Massachusetts, we would have more confidence. However, he has run away from most of his bipartisan positions from that tenure and would be the head of a party getting more extreme each election.

Obama, on the other hand, attempted to reach across the aisle early on by making the individual mandate, which was previously supported by some Republicans, a major part of health-care reform. He also has been open to a compromise of tax increases and spending cuts. While a hostile Republican party in Congress refused both of those attempts, at least he tried. We hope he will continue to do so, especially when unhampered by the considerations of re-election.

Despite the limitations of President Obama’s first term, we cannot ignore the positive accomplishments of the past four years.

Obama worked to ensure student loan interest rates would not double for recently graduated students having trouble finding jobs while also increasing the number of Pell grants offered.

He ensured parents could keep their children on their health insurance until the age of 26, a major victory for college students and soon-to-be graduates.

He gives the United States a better reputation around the world and killed the terrorist who planned the attack that will always haunt our generation.

And on social issues, it is no contest. Obama has spoken out in favor of gay marriage. While he wants to leave legislation to the states, the president’s support on the issue is a major victory. He also supported true immigration reform with the DREAM Act, which we hope is reconsidered over the next four years.

There is also a real possibility the next president will have the opportunity to appoint one or more Supreme Court justices, and Obama would be more likely than Romney to appoint qualified candidates who will side with a woman’s right to choose and gay marriage.

Finally, four years is simply not enough time to adequately assess if Obama’s policies are working. He deserves a fair chance to fully get this country on the right track economically, and therefore this board endorses him for reelection.

Tammy Baldwin not too extreme for Wisconsin:

This editorial board endorses Democrat Tammy Baldwin in the U.S. senatorial race against Republican Tommy Thompson. Although Thompson was a popular and effective governor from 1987 to 2001, Baldwin is the superior choice. This board aligns itself closely to Baldwin’s progressive stances on social issues and we trust Baldwin’s decision making on responsible debt reduction decisions.

We strongly believe the debt crisis and long-term economic stability has not been addressed with the necessary gravitas in both campaigns and in practice; this characterization also extends itself to Baldwin’s campaign. We stand with Baldwin on her economic policy, not so much because of her positions—which could prove untenable in upcoming debt negotiations—but because we believe in Baldwin’s underlying moral vision.

Difficult economic decisions prioritize between the needs and wants of the different populations within the United States. Navigating economic decisions requires perspicacity and a strong moral understanding of what the United States should provide to its citizens.

Candidate Thompson, starting during his time as Wisconsin’s governor, has displayed a moral vision for America that this board does not support. Thompson’s no-exceptions anti-abortion stance and his stance against marriage equality for same-sex couples are a political shorthand for a type of America this board cannot support.

Tammy Baldwin has a clear advantage over Tommy Thompson in social issues. Her stances in support of same-sex marriage, the DREAM act, pro-choice legislation, gun control and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, all of which former Gov. Thompson opposes, are all strong reasons to cast your vote for Baldwin Tuesday.

The past four years have seen our federal government grow hugely inefficient, largely due to partisan gridlock in the congressional branch. Republican congressmen and senators have repeatedly been obstructionist toward popular legislation initiatives such as The American Jobs Act, the Veteran Jobs Corps Act and the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.

Although the obstructionist measures will likely be toned down if Obama enters his second-term as president, Republican leadership has done little to prove they have America’s best interest in mind instead of their own party’s.

Voting for Baldwin is also a vote against Republican obstructionism and the scorched-earth political tactics of the past four years.

Mark Pocan supports UW students:

State Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, seems to genuinely care about Wisconsin, and most importantly for University of Wisconsin-Madison students, the state’s flagship university. For these reasons, among others, our editorial board endorses Pocan for Wisconsin’s 2nd Congressional District seat.

Pocan has represented Madison in the state legislature since 1998. In that time, he has raised financial aid for students by more than $80 million and opposed cuts to the UW system proposed by the governor’s office. Among other plans, Pocan said he wants to increase the number of Pell Grant recipients as well as expand and reform student loan to allow more students access to higher education. Pocan has also stated that he supports stronger implementation of Title IX, which prevents gender discrimination under any education program across the nation or any activity receiving federal financial aid. Such pro-Wisconsin, more specifically pro-UW, stances are exactly what has gained Pocan’s trust amongst this editorial board.

Conversely, Pocan’s opponent, Republican Chad Lee, has entirely neglected to outline any plans to improve UW-Madison. This editorial board simply cannot extend support for a candidate who neglects one of the state’s most important and symbolic entities. This university is not only important to students, but to the entire state. Attracting excellent faculty and staff to work at UW-Madison ensures the university’s ability to attract intelligent high school graduates, many of whom will enter the Wisconsin workforce, thereby improving the state’s economy.

Pocan is the right candidate for the state and for UW-Madison. We hope and expect Wisconsinites to agree Nov. 6.

Please send feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.