County approves day shelter

County officials approved in a 33-2 vote Thursday the opening of a temporary day warming shelter on 827 E. Washington Ave., a site across the street from the lot formerly used for an Occupy Madison camp in fall 2011.

After county campsites closed for the season this November, Occupy members set up camp on East Washington Avenue, prompting complaints from residents who live near the site.

Because Occupy did not have a permit for the site, the city of Madison issued an eviction notice Nov. 9 ordering Occupy residents to leave East Washington Avenue. The group then set up camp at Lake View Hill County Park despite county orders for them to leave.

Supervisor Heidi Wegeleitner voted in support of the shelter and said the community needs to recognize that “not all homeless people are criminals and need access to basic necessities.”

Occupy resident Ronnie Barbett echoed Wegleitner’s sentiments and said most homeless people are well behaved.

Resident Darby Puglielli, who also voted in favor of the shelter, said someone needed to take responsibility for the homelessness problem.

“Human life is something that you can’t just throw away,” Puglielli said.

Despite support from community members, other residents were dissatisfied with the idea of a shelter in the Tenney-Lapham neighborhood.

“Last year’s warming shelter was a complete disaster,” resident Richard Freihoefer said. “I’m living down there with my friends and neighbors, and I don’t need anybody telling me that I’ve got to have it.”

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, agreed with Freihoefer, and said last year’s warming shelter was not successful because of conflicts between neighborhood residents and people at the shelter.

“I’m really disappointed that I don’t have another option to bring to the table,” Maniaci said.

Supervisor Melanie Hampton opposed the location of the warming shelter because of its close proximity to the Rainbow Project, an organization that provides services for children who are victims of crime.

“These are children who have been through the most painful experiences,” Hampton said. “Safe is not enough for them.”

Dane County Department of Human Services Director Lynn Green said the warming shelter will open Nov. 26 and stay open for four months.

Editor's Note: The original version of this story said Occupy Madison members used the 827 E. Washington Ave. location last year as a campsite. The campsite was across the street. We apologize for the error.