City officials consider downtown development proposals, initially approve one project

City officials gave initial approval for one proposed downtown building and postponed further discussion of two other building proposals at an Urban Design Commission meeting Wednesday night.

The first proposal is a five-story, 71-unit student-oriented apartment complex on the corner of North Bassett Street and West Dayton Street.

After making changes to the entryway of the building in response to UDC members’ suggestions, J. Randolph Bruce, managing member of Knothe & Bruce Architects, received initial approval for the development.

The second proposed building, a 12-story apartment complex on North Frances Street also designed by Knothe & Bruce Architects, would require the demolition of two residential buildings at 313 and 315 N. Frances St.

The building requirements in this area have a maximum height restriction of 10 stories, leading the UDC to deny initial approval of the development, but Bruce said the building would be much more successful as it is currently proposed.

“I really think the building looks cool at 12 stories,” he said.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, both the Bassett Street and Frances Street developments have a high probability of being approved in the end, but the Frances Street project will need additional modifications.

A third proposed building for the campus area would require the demolition of two buildings on a national historic register at 145 Iota Court as well as 619 and 625 Henry St. for the construction of an eight-story apartment complex.

Developers Jeff and Chris Houden and Knothe & Bruce Architects made changes to the project in response to negative feedback from neighborhood residents during previous proposals, including concerns about the Langdon area losing its historical ambiance if the project is passed.

“This is a neighborhood of three- and four-story houses, and going to eight stories does not seem at all fitting,” Kappa Kappa Gamma house board member Stephanie Stender said.

The commission did not give initial approval on the project and has been referred until the Landmarks Commission has had the chance to give its input on the proposal, according to Verveer.

All three projects still need further UDC approval as well as approval from the Land Commission and City Council approval before construction can begin, Verveer said.