edgewater

Developers and city officials celebrate the beginning of the $98 million Edgewater Hotel redevelopment project Thursday. The Edgewater is scheduled to reopen in summer 2014.

City officials break ground on Edgewater

Developers and community leaders broke ground Thursday on the long-awaited $98 million Edgewater redevelopment project.

Renovation of the hotel has faced opposition since its proposal in 2008, including a decision by the city to cut $16 million of public funds set aside for its redevelopment.

The project includes restoring the hotel to its original 1940s-era style, adding nine stories and constructing a large outdoor terrace, according to a press release.

According to a statement by project developer Bob Dunn, the new Edgewater will be a community asset that will welcome local and out-of-town guests.

“The Edgewater will be the place where even better memories are made,” Dunn said in the statement.

The redevelopment will create approximately 700 jobs during its 18-month construction period, with over 250 permanent jobs created after the hotel opens.

Construction of the project will begin next week and the Edgewater is scheduled to reopen in summer 2014.